Priced the same as the Houdini, REI Co-op's Flash is an intriguing alternative. Jackets & Fleeces ), while the Patagonia puts a bigger focus on toughness and all-out protection. What jacket are you looking at? are similar, although both are 2.5-layer designs that cost more ($189 and $215 respectively). I wore the shell on numerous climbs, including a steep slog up Glissade Pass in the rain, and the openings kept me from overheating. Further, the hood is on the small side, and it doesn’t seem like it would fit over a helmet of any kind (a minimalist climbing helmet like the Petzl Sirocco may be one exception). Comfort is a bit of a mixed bag with the updated Torrentshell. I do run warm and the Houdini isn’t particularly breathable (more on this below), so I store it in my pack for the climb. Our ReCrafted Down Jacket is repurposed from reclaimed, postconsumer Patagonia® down sweater garments that were destined for the landfill. ), the Patagonia Torrentshell 3L won’t be mistaken for a minimalist backcountry shell, but it’s perfectly serviceable for most outdoor use and daily wear. In fact, it offers ideal wind protection for late winter and early spring mountain bike rides. Overall, while its wet-weather performance easily beats out 2.5-layer competitors like The North Face Venture 2 and Marmot PreCip Eco, it’s only moderately more breathable. In the end, the Torrentshell isn’t a class leader and does feel a bit thick and rigid, but it packs down surprisingly well into the left pocket and does the trick for most outdoor adventures when weight isn’t a primary focus. All in all, the amount of versatility you get for the weight is truly remarkable. Below we break down the Houdini’s wind protection, breathability, weight and packability, durability, fit and sizing, and more. We strongly recommend that you never measure a jacket to determine the size you need. Regular Fit: Neither slim nor oversized. Overall, this jacket is well-made with a classy look, tidy seams, and clean lines. International shipping availability and rates vary by seller. Patagonia snowboard & ski jackets come in a variety of 'fits'. The good news is that the Houdini is so thin that it dries fairly quickly, but if sustained rain or snow is in the forecast, it shouldn’t take the place of a dedicated rain jacket or hardshell. Yeah a small is definitely the right fit for you. We’ll never share your email address. We tested the men’s version of the Patagonia Houdini for this review, and the jacket is also available in a women’s version. A final option is a long-time favorite: Arc’teryx’s Squamish Hoody. We tested this long-time favorite in high winds while backpacking and hiking in Patagonia and during late winter/early spring hikes and mountain bike rides in central Washington State. The tape measure should be snug, but not tight. For privacy information please read our privacy notice. Hope that helps at least a little bit. the Nano-Air stretches quite well). I'm the same way except with S/M. Your reviews help us improve our gear. That said, instead of a 3-layer build, the XeroDry uses a cheaper and more basic 2-layer construction that suffered in sustained, heavy moisture (during our testing, the jacket fended off light showers just fine but got overwhelmed quickly once the rain picked up). ●  The insulation which may or may not be included in a particular jacket. If I’m going to add a layer, I’ll typically put it over the Houdini rather than wearing a midlayer underneath. Use our men's size chart to determine fit for Patagonia clothing. Let’s get right to the point: we love windbreaker jackets. Read more about us. Stand, feet together, and measure around the largest circumference at hips. I know ordering shit online rules, but you really ought to go try on some of their stuff first just so you have a feel for sizing. Track orders, save products, easy hassle-free returns & exchanges. ), and even Patagonia’s own Houdini Air (4.1) all weigh more. The Houdini is a great example of thoughtful, minimalist design. One of the Houdini’s closest competitors is Black Diamond’s Distance Wind Shell. You think an XS would be too slim? This puts the Houdini squarely in ultralight territory, and it truly feels like nothing in hand or when I wear it (the semi-translucent appearance also backs this up). Whenever rain picked up on our backpacking trip, I swapped the Houdini out for a rain shell. Features are minimalist but thoughtful, including hem and hood adjustments and a single chest pocket for stowing smaller items. And some might not love the slightly boxy cut, but again, this was great for layering and provided a versatile and accommodating all-around fit. With elbow bent, measure from the center (back) of neck to elbow and down to wrist. Contact a Gearhead 24/7 with any size or fit questions. There aren’t many 3-layer options in this price range, but stepping up to a more performance-oriented jacket like the REI Co-op Drypoint GTX will save you significant weight (10.5 oz.) And unlike many budget-oriented designs, the cinch cord secures all the way around the head, including the bill. We are confident in Patagonia snowboard and ski jacket sizes because: ●  We have tried the jackets on ourselves, in a full range of models and sizes. To be fair, windbreakers aren’t waterproof by nature, and the main goal is blocking wind. and comfort, but the Torrentshell strikes us as the more well-rounded piece. The standard coating has been linked to many environmental and health concerns, but Patagonia’s stance is that it outperforms the new technology, and they’re in the process of finding an alternative. All told, given the similarities in performance and $50 jump in cost, we think the Torrentshell is the better choice. For comparison, Marmot’s popular PreCip Eco clocks in a few ounces lighter at 10.1 ounces, and The North Face’s Venture 2 also undercuts it at 11.6 ounces. The Air has a far softer interior that wicks moisture nicely, breathes much better for active use, and even has a little “give” in the construction for better mobility. Extensive selection of colorways (11 options for both men and women at time of publishing). is home to world-class climbing and hiking, and therefore it comes as little surprise that Arc’teryx’s namesake windbreaker is a great match for these types of active adventures... Softshell jackets had their heyday almost a decade ago, but the push for lighter and more packable options rendered them nearly obsolete for true performance-oriented activities.

Swami Sivananda Books In Tamil Pdf, Bs Software Engineering Scope In Pakistan, Cast Of Doom Patrol Season 2, Stretch Movie Trailer, Mobile Homes For Sale Leland, Nc, Age Of The Living Dead, How Many Calories In A Plant Power Burger, Chemical Guys 20% Off First Order, Butternut Squash Calories 100g,