Ra was the first god, and the first pharaoh of the gods (succeeded by his descendants), so it makes sense that he is one model on which the human pharaoh was based. But it magic only lasts so long and he died again, this time to unlive out the rest of his undays in the underworld as the chief deity of the afterlife. There’s another, more common telling where an already-existent Thoth merely takes the Set-semen-head-disc, but I went with the other version because I thought it was funnier. Soon after, Set goes bragging that he’s done the “work of a man” on Horus, which Horus denies, so one of the gods calls for their semen, and Set’s answers from a swamp, and Horus’s answers from inside Set. Which is surprising, because she seems to have been a pretty big deal once upon a time. Calendar of Events; Covenants & Minutes; Home Project Submission; Directory; Newsletter Have you ever heard the word “ithyphallic?” I hadn’t ether. Symbolism. One source I read suggested he might have been initially modeled after the front view of a male lion. His symbols are a Scarab beetle and the blue lotus. Site built with Wordpress, Frumph's Comicpress theme and a lot of tweaking. I swear that’s his actual hat. He was also associated with a certain kind of lettuce that has a distinctive white sap. Paintings of her are almost painfully boring. He rode his boat/sun across the sky during the day and through the underworld at night, constantly fending off attacks by the forces of chaos. Once he was old enough, he confronted Set and demanded his kingdom. A comic about mostly history, maybe science, and probably some other stuff, too. Or at least, that’s it for the gods I drew. One night, while those are taking place, the two wind up sleeping together and Set sort of dominates Horus, but Horus catches the sperm in his hand and throws it away with the help of his magical mother Isis. A god of beauty and perfumes. God of the moon, and since calendars were based on the moon, he was also the god of writing, math, record-keeping, scribes, and scholars. I might as well mention that this is the only pantheon I’ve heard of with stitched-together-zombie-sex. By extension, he can also represent creation and the renewal of life. The scarab beetle is a pervasive symbol in ancient Egyptian religion and was connected to Khepri, the god of the sun and rebirth. Anuket, like Satet, was a goddess of the Nile. She’s usually depicted with lotus flowers in one hand and a snake in the other, and usually looks a lot less bashful than I’ve drawn her here. And that’s it! But here’s something interesting I found: when Egypt was ruled by Greek pharaohs in 250-30 BCE, Anubis was merged with Hermes to become HERMANUBIS. That is why he only is seen near the end of the journey through the Duat. Next, a disclaimer: this family tree isn’t, strictly speaking, historically accurate, because what we think of as The Egyptian Pantheon is really a whole bunch of similar-but-not-identical pantheons which were mostly based in individual cities – Thebes, Heliopolis, Memphis, etc. It was thought that Khepre rolled the sun across the sky in the same way a dung beetle rolls balls of dung across the ground. Like, they’d consider other folks’ gods to be about as real as their own. Bastet was a sort of motherly goddess, who took care of pregnant women and young pharaohs and guided dead people in the underworld. A Canaanite sex-goddess who was incorporated into the Egyptian pantheon and became pretty popular. Imhotep is a deified human – how cool is that? But he didn’t last long, because his brother Set killed him, and dismembered him, and for good measure scattered his body across Egypt. I don’t think it’s totally clear how we got from there to an independently worshipped Mut, but by around 2000BCE it had happened. He was strong, belligerent, short-tempered, and mean, and was the chief god of crime, illness, storms, droughts, plagues, and foreign lands. It has a poster of this, as well as updated versions of the Norse and Greek god family trees I did a while back. First: I opened a store! It’s when a group goes from “my god is the best god” to “my god is the only god” that you get problems. Her name literally means “female scribe” and she’s a goddess of more or less everything related to writing. Khepri was the god of the rising sun, which would roll along the sky like a beetle rolls a ball of dung. The actual, historical Imhotep lived during the third millennium BCE, and was an advisor to the Pharaoh, a priest of Ptah, the architect behind the first pyramid, and apparently enough of a medical genius that within a few centuries of his death, he’d been combined in the public mind with a few other legends and was worshipped as a god of medicine and healers. Set was so transgressive that he wasn’t even a normal animal. The story takes place during the contests between Horus and Set over who should be pharaoh. EDIT: An earlier version of this had Apep listed as Apophis, which was his name in Greek. Ptah is also the one who created humanity by scultping them at a potters’ wheel, although in some traditions Khnum did that instead. in later funerary texts, Atum and Khepri merged into a ram-headed beetle who was the ultimate expression of the power of life over death. Ancient Egyptian men would sometimes wear his amulets for the ancient-Egytpain equivalent of date-night. Which probably explains why Akhenaten’s religion more or less died with him. The story goes that after his mom got pregnant with him (via zombie-Osiris), he was born and grew in secret while usurper uncle Set sat on the throne. Khonsu was originally a violent cannibalistic god who would absorb other gods’ powers but eating their organs, but over a couple thousand years he was changed into a much more mellow god of time, measurement, and prosperity. If this is sounding familiar, it’s because half the gods in this pantheon so far were the creators and/or heads of some city’s version of this pantheon. Khepre was one of the first gods, self-created, and his name means “he who has come into being”. Sekhmet was the fire-breathing lion-headed goddess of war and violence, so it makes sense that most of her worship was about keeping her away. Khepri was a self-created god. He had to be defeated to establish the cosmos itself, and still lurks beyond the edge of the world, ruining stuff. And then a glowing disc emerges from Set’s head and that disc is Thoth (or something like that). Apep was blamed for more or less everything bad – storms, famines, invasions, earthquakes, etc. Most ancient Egyptian creation myths involve the first god emerging from a chaotic watery abyss, and depending on the story, Nun either lived in the watery abyss or *was* the watery abyss. There were plenty more I didn’t bother with because they were minor, or only worshipped in one town, or were just another god by a second name. He invented writing and mediated disputes. In Memphis, they used an actual black bull to represent Apis, which was chosen based on strict criteria including “is there a white triangle on its forehead,” “do the splotches on its back look anything like wings,” and “does it have a beetle-sized lump under its tongue?” If a bull passed, it got to live out its life in luxury, on a private pasture, with a whole harem of cows, until age 25 when it was killed and given a giant funeral and they’d start searching for a replacement. If the heart was lighter, they’d get into the blessed realm of Osiris; if the heart was heavier, they’d get eaten by a monster and cease to exist. She was associated with royalty, childbirth, and motherhood, and, according to one book I read, was sometimes“depicted as a composite deity with outstretched wings, an erect phallus, and three heads — those of a vulture, a lion, and a human.”. You may know him as Khepri, Khepra, Khepera or Khepre. According to one telling she would swallow the sun every night and give birth to it every morning, but I had no idea how to represent that on the chart so I didn’t. He’d mostly spend his days attacking the gods on Ra’s ship, and his nights getting hacked to pieces in the underworld. And (at the risk of sounding like a no-good pushy salesman) if you’d like these on your wall, feel free to check out the Veritable Hokum poster store! Oceans = his tears.” See the entry under Shu for the rest of that story. He (and Ra and Atum and a few others) was considered important enough at some point to be retroactively credited with creating himself and then everything else.

Krfc604fss Vs Krfc704fss, Wholesale Dog Bandanas, Sleeping Beauty Captions For Instagram, Shostakovich String Quartet No 8 Imslp, The Platform 123movies, Grow Tent Tegu Enclosure, How To Trim Clips On Tiktok, Taylor Olsen Age, Ps4 Emulator Apk Gta 5, Twill Pants Vs Chinos,